...there we stood in the doorway We heard the mission bell and we were thinking to ourselves "This could be heaven or this could be hell" Mirrors on the ceiling The pink champagne on ice. And she said: "We are all just prisoners here of our own device." (Eagles)

Monday, July 30, 2007

Communication is so tricky

The inability to convey inflection in what I write frequently impedes my ability to communicate effectively. As an example, suppose I wanted to talk about the business of education. When I say it, it is more like the business of education, but I have reason to believe that when I write it, it is incorrectly perceived that I am saying the business of education.

I have recently discovered another interesting point. It has to do with the phrase "those who can, do - those who can't, teach". I have always viewed that phrase from an athlete's perspective. I never perceived it as a derogatory or castigating statement about teachers. I also did not limit the action of whatever could or could not be done to just the skill itself. I kept it specific to the area involved, which means I did not expand the set. I did not come up with the logic of - teachers are people that can't do. Nor would I say that people who do are not teachers.

It used to be so simple when I looked at this way: I will use high school baseball as an example. As a high school student, if the student could play high school baseball, he did. If the coach could not play high school baseball, he taught. I never looked at it that the coach could not perform the skills of baseball, he was just too old to be in high school. He used to play high school ball. He may have played triple A or minor league. He could still play high school ball better than the kids. But the fact remained -for those who could play high school baseball, they did - for those who could not play high school baseball, they taught.

No comments: