...there we stood in the doorway We heard the mission bell and we were thinking to ourselves "This could be heaven or this could be hell" Mirrors on the ceiling The pink champagne on ice. And she said: "We are all just prisoners here of our own device." (Eagles)

Friday, January 18, 2008

They Just Didn't Get It

My previous post was an attempt to provide some insight in to why some educational settings do not succeed, despite how much the educators involved want to believe that they know what they are doing. Money is not the answer. Changing a mind-set is.

As a parent of a disabled child, I have years of experience and hundreds of anecdotal incidents (far exceeding what was often referred to as "isolated" by District personnel) that I could share. Despite my incessant efforts to bring in outside educated supports from places such as FSU, Fla. School For Deaf Blind, UofF, Texas, New York, Gallaudet, Boston College Deaf/Blind and even Australia, some people just didn't get it that their way was not good. Despite numerous evaluations, observations,reports and money spent on bringing in real experts, some people just didn't get it that their way was not good.

Dealing with behaviors was one of the most exasperating issues. I can not tell anyone how many times I was told my son did something "for no apparent reason". Like the time he broke his pencil, crumpled his paper and threw it on the floor "for no good reason". He was sent to the office. The principal informed us that he would not be allowed to act like that.

As the uninformed, emotionally attached, overwhelmed father, I only had excuses for his behavior. The fact that he had an uncorrectable vision problem did not matter. The fact that he was deaf did not matter. The fact that there was no one at that school to sign to him did not matter. The fact he was extremely successful in the prior setting because the previous teacher had all of the supports needed for him to succeed but they were not with him didn't matter. The fact that he had been given the same ditto several days in a row did not matter. The fact that the ditto was too small of print for him to see didn't matter. The fact that the lesson plan called for recognition of presidents didn't matter. The fact that no one knew how to present an abstract concept such as President Lincoln and President Washington to a kid who will never be able to grasp the concept didn't matter. The fact that he could not see pencil markings very well didn't matter. The fact that he was used to a black marker to accommodate his vision didn't matter.

No, I simply had to trust those who had the authority of the school system vested in them.

In my continued efforts to be a helpful father, despite my shortcomings, I talked with the teacher about my concerns. She told me she did not have ink to make separate dittos for my son. I asked what kind of ink cartridges she needed, and went directly to what-ever store it was and bought two cartridges and a ream of paper and gave it to her.

Needless to say, my purchase of the ink cartridges was not the answer. That was in 1990. By December 16th, 1996, despite various settings, it was the mind-set of several people that was never overcome and it led to me learning the rules.

Most of them had authority that could have righted the issue. Fortunately, there were a few who not only got it, but even without power and authority, they overcame the misguided. But not without a lot of effort to make things work.

The previous article speaks to how behaviors can be made worse by ignorance combined with power and authority.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a complicated issue and I do not mean to sound flippant. I would like to offer what might be a simpleton's thoughts. As you are aware, I spent the last fours years in special education. Though I did not teach the most challenged students, I was aware through interaction with colleagues that did teach these students. I also volunteered to teach an autistic student for one hour per day last year. I have written about what a rewarding experience it was for me and hopefully for her. Here then is my simple take on it.

We are twenty plus years into the computer revolution; however, stroll through any school and you will see little evidence of it. The reason this is important is that through available technology many of the shortcomings that befall teachers of very challenged students could be overcome. It is difficult for any of us to empathize every day, day in and day out with what some students must endure. As human beings with every sort of mundane problem (late electric bills, sick kids, etc.) teachers cannot maintain the diligence necessary to help the most challenged among us.

Today, though, through the majesty of brilliant technology (which improves daily) much of the diligence can be maintained through the robotic nature of computers and software. Teachers can direct the technology to its goal and it will work with the student endlessly and with every sort of accommodation. The sad situation though is that we have almost none of that technology available. Perhaps it exists on some out of the way shelf. Maybe, many devices are beautifully displayed in catalogs lining administration coffee tables, but it is not available everyday for teachers and students to use.

Unfortunately, much of the money that might have provided the technology is sitting in bomb craters in Iraq and other war torn parts of the globe—simply wasted.

PRO On HCPS said...

Response to Goader 5:28

I appreciate your response. I am not convinced that my attempt at exposing misguided concepts regarding behavioral issues can be reduced to the availabilty of technology and lack of funds.

Rather, I was trying to draw attention to the issue that there are always avenues for educators to learn how to effectively teach students and deal with their behavior, despite lack of funds. The post prior to this one addresses the issue of how what is considered common practice in dealing with behaviors may be misguided.

While I understand lack of funding is a real issue, to change "mind-sets" does not have to have a monetary cost. Taking the anecdotal story I recounted, the conditions that led to my son's behavioral problems were ignored. His breaking his pencil and tearing his ditto up were treated as non-compliant behavior, with subsequent trip to Principal's office. The reasons I outlined of why the ditto's were inappropriate for him were lost somehow. This same kind of non-compliant behavior happened when he had a computer screen that he could not see. But the behavior became the focus, not what was causing it. After days, months and years of this, one can see how it becomes costly when it is dealt with wrongly.

To this day, I can offer him a glass of water appropriately. If he doesn't want it, he will appropriately sign "no". If I insist, he will sign "no" emphatically and then sign "finished." This is easily predicted. It happens frequently. Guess what happens if I put the glass of water next to him? That water is going somewhere. I could puff up and pull parental authority. I could punish him. I could make him clean it up. Guess what will happen the next time we go through this sequence?

The fact that he intelligently responded with a polite "no" ends up in a power struggle punishing situation because which one of us was disrespecting the other? I punish him because I didn't respect his saying "no"? I rationalize the punishment because I am the authority figure?


The real issue was that despite exposure to best practices that were provided to the District personnel on how to effectively educate a deaf/blind student, these practices were rejected. In 1990, my son was evaluated by an internationally known expert on deaf/blindness, Dr. Jan Van Dyke. A professional report was generated complete with recommendations. One of the administrators comments was: "Those are just recommendations, we don't have to do them."

One reason I have chosen behavior as a topic in my Special Ed Motel is because of the dynamics of the relationship between teacher and student that is needed to effectively deal with behaviors. And, as you know, inappropriate behaviors impede the ability of the teacher and the student's peers to access their curriculum.

BTW, my posts are not aimed at you, even though I follow your struggles with some of your student's behavior.

Again, the previous article discusses how our common response to behavioral issues, especially when we do not respect the student, actually increases them. These concepts are not tied to money, technology or specialized services.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Points well taken except one caveat: Don't underestimate the power of money in our material world. Except for terminal illnesses and severed spinal cords, there are not many problems that money can't make a whole lot better. Ouch!