...there we stood in the doorway We heard the mission bell and we were thinking to ourselves "This could be heaven or this could be hell" Mirrors on the ceiling The pink champagne on ice. And she said: "We are all just prisoners here of our own device." (Eagles)

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Defining "Primary Disability" And The Educational Implications Of Same

I was hoping to get a little more information, but I'll go with what I have.
On a previous post, a public commenter and I had a discussion and this was stated:

Motel Special Ed: IEP Tip for the day:

"We do have to choose which one is the 'primary' disability. This is the one that requires the most service time."


I wanted to know how one determined which disability requires the most service time, and the response was this:

"I think I can answer that. I have an SLD/Hearing Impaired student in my class. The SLD is "primary"(I think that's the term) because he's with SLD teachers in 5 classes a week(FUSE) and has only a weekly meeting with other teacher (of the Hearing Impaired)who visits a number of sites per day(s). In IEP meetings, both are present."


We can assume that the student is Hearing impaired the same amount of time that the student has a specific learning disorder.

I bring this up because in one of the difficult school settings that my son was in, the frustrated primary teacher that he was with most of the time made a comment that she was only responsible for my son's hearing disability and that the vision department was responsible for his vision disability. This was the same time that he had been provided a computer that apparently caused some problems because the need for the computer use was written into his IEP, and no one else in the class had a computer. He had done quite well with large fonts at his previous setting and had a proven track record. To add a little flavor, after things started going bad we discovered that the computer screen he was supposed to be using was so bad that all of the normal sighted adults that had to get involved with this issue could plainly see that he couldn't see it.

While there is certainly more to this small part of what started the big story, it was shortly after that that I made it a point to say that he was profoundly deaf and legally blind all at the same time.

Some people think that is a mocking statement. I was simply stating the facts.

That happened over 10 years ago, and I am sure that all of the ESE divisions work together in full support with each other now.

No comments: