...there we stood in the doorway We heard the mission bell and we were thinking to ourselves "This could be heaven or this could be hell" Mirrors on the ceiling The pink champagne on ice. And she said: "We are all just prisoners here of our own device." (Eagles)

Saturday, August 11, 2007

ALL ROOMS ARE THE SAME (ask at desk if luxury suites are available )

Yesterday, I vented. Over the years, I have been told many things from others as they express their thoughts about me as a father in relationship to one of my children. Most of these comments are positive, a few of them negative. I don't hear those same expressions about my relationship with my other children. My belief is that the absence of these expressions about my 'normal' kids is how society accepts the status-quo of kids growing up and becoming adults and that there is a wide range of expected and accepted paths that they can go.

The positive comments come mostly from people who have known me a while. I know the positive comments and the commenter are meant to express appreciation for the circumstances. The negative comments have been few and from "professionals".

After my rant yesterday, I spent some time thinking about what is in me that I choose to have such feelings. Maybe it has something to do with the path that my son must go and the fact that this path does not fit in the "wide range of expected and accepted paths" for the majority of people.

One of the positive comments that I have heard numerous times is that "God chose you to take care of his little angel". I will never forget the day a very well meaning person said that to me and I had the insolence to reject it. That was over fifteen years ago. Not sure if I knew the above Eagles' song then or not.

One of the negative comments that sticks out in this context is when a reporter asked me how I "felt about the perception of many that parents in your situation think the world owes them". I will never forget my reaction. What I said was something to the effect that if she and I had not been introduced in the manner that we were, I would tell her to get the hell out of my house right now. I gave deference to her position - the insinuation and implications of the word "many" to this day haunts me. That conversation happened around 11 years ago.

I have spoken about compulsory school attendance and school choice here and on other blogs. I have previously posted the contents of the "Wilted lettuce, Rotten tomatoes" missive and the implications of same. I spoke of the lack of control I have in choosing my children's strength and weaknesses in my profile.

I am coming to this. My son and I are fine with our path. It is when we are forced in to situations that are not good and then told we have to accept it because we are who we are just does not fit well.

No comments: